I call it the neck. Is there a proper term?

  • 2
    I'd call it the "bracket". That includes the plate with the screw holes in it and the piece of metal between the plate and the rim. The "neck" to me would be the joining piece and would not include the mounting plate. – BoldBen May 12 '19 at 19:25
  • Good question! Visual Dictionary doesn’t name it. – Pam May 12 '19 at 19:55

The part of the backboard that connects to the rim is know as the 'break-away' or the 'break-away rim'. It is designed to release the force from the jump and to prevent damage to the backboard and rim.

See the Wikipedia entry

  • 1
    It might be a good idea to cite a reference or two, or just post an image. – Mari-Lou A May 19 '19 at 9:48
  • Is it a break-away only if it has that folding action? Based on the name, I would assume a rigid connection would not be called a break-away? OP's question leaves it open to be about a rigid bracket, so I'd suggest mentioning that this answer only partially applies (i.e. to folding brackets). – Flater May 20 '19 at 14:43

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.