For example, it's used like that:

IEC 61508 Functional Safety of Electrical/Electronic safety-related systems — Part 2. Requirements for ...

—||— Part 3. Glossary

Or, to be precise, this is how it goes: This is how I spotted this symbol

  • 8
    I'd say it's just a somewhat florid / ornate (non-standard? idiosyncratic?) ditto mark. May 10, 2019 at 13:03
  • 3
    @FumbleFingers Using a simple double-quote (") is standard in most English-speaking countries; the form given here, with horizontal lines on either side of the (somewhat drawn-out) double-quote, is standard in several other countries/languages. Although the usage here seems rather odd to me – I wouldn’t expect a ditto mark to be used at all in what looks like a printed table of contents. May 10, 2019 at 13:10
  • 1
    @JanusBahsJacquet: I meant "non-standard" in the specific context. I assume we only actually use double-quote because it's been available as a "standard" character in most Western character sets since we invented printing -> typewriters -> computer fonts, though it's not uncommon to see variants such as a couple of slashes (//). But normally we only use this "orthographic device" in the context of data presented in tabular format, where the "non-explicitly repeated" text is somewhere directly above the relevant ditto mark(s). May 10, 2019 at 13:21
  • 1
    @Fumble My comment was just to note that it’s not necessarily idiosyncratic, just (likely) transferred from someone’s first language, so it’s non-standard in English, but probably not where it was transferred from. Also, I was really thinking more about handwriting here – most English-language handwritten documents that use ditto marks do use just two vertical/slanted little strokes, whereas in many other locations, the handwritten form is two vertical strokes flanked by two horizontal strokes. (Also do., which is used both in English and elsewhere, although not my many people anymore.) May 10, 2019 at 13:40
  • 1
    I've never seen this before. Wikipedia's article on the ditto mark, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ditto_mark, claims (without attribution) that this construction is used in Greek. May 10, 2019 at 14:18

2 Answers 2


FumbleFingers commented:

I'd say it's just a somewhat florid / ornate (non-standard? idiosyncratic?) ditto mark.

  • | | cannot be a "ditto mark". Most likely the word ditto would be used. Your link even says: A ditto mark (or ditto sign) is a symbol (“) which signifies ditto. This (“) is a ditto mark, not | |.
    – Lambie
    Nov 18, 2023 at 20:01
  • 1
    Pace Lambie, I’d say it fairly clearly is an elaborated notation constructed around an enlarged ditto mark. I do read the || as an enlarged ditto mark. Or anyway as a newly invented compound inspired by and transparently modeled after the canonical ditto mark, ″. Nov 19, 2023 at 5:37

As Fumblefingers noted, this is a form of ditto mark.
Wikipedia notes that the form -----"----- is used in Russian, Swedish, and Norwegian.
Also, some extension of Latex can do these


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.