I'm trying to think of a way to say a person has a job that is (more than likely) only available to the college educated. The idea is to convey a level of success.

The terms I've thought of are:

  • White-collar job - Conveys office work, but seems too broad. This could apply to basic clerical work. Plus, there are some educated positions that might not be "white-collar."
  • Professional position - What I'm leaning towards most. It gives the idea they're working in their field as a "professional."

An example of where it might be used is:

"My son is doing quite well for himself, he has a _________ and is living on his own already."

  • I’d likeky say, “He has a job using his degree...”
    – Jim
    May 6, 2019 at 15:58
  • "White-collar job" is the correct term. Clerical work is "pink-collar".
    – RonJohn
    May 29 at 20:21

1 Answer 1


In the context of the sentence, I think "graduate job" would work. Admittedly, it's not a common construction, but it would be clearly understood by everyone and convey precisely what you intend. Beyond that, I think your 'professional position' is good, if a bit more vague and not propping the degree up as much.

  • "Graduate job" strongly implies work involving a post-Bachelor degree. Likewise, "professional position", implies a job requiring professional certification (doctor, lawyer, CPA, Professional engineer).
    – RonJohn
    May 29 at 20:19

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.