What is it called when one says "false news" but they mean "fake news" and just didn't notice the difference or didn't realize it mattered? It's like an eggcorn but the way it sounds is not quite the point here.

1 Answer 1


What you describe is a form of misspeaking.

I commend you on identifying and describing this relatively common phenomenon, but until someone comes up with a better word for it, misspeaking is probably the best word for it.

By the way, a common occurrence in this regard is when a person mispronounces someone's name, such as saying Jim Waterton instead of the correct Jim Waterston.

  • Provisionally at least, I'm accepting this answer. It's a valid answer after all. Let's hope there will be some more suggestions.
    – jkyoto
    Commented May 6, 2019 at 21:23

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.