I'm looking for a word that refers to someone who only sees things the way they want to see them.

"She just can't seem to take someone else's view into account. She's very ____."

Something along those lines.

  • 2
    Please, include an example sentence with a blank space showing how you would like the word you're looking for to be used. Otherwise, the question appears to be too broad to get a specific answer. – Michael Rybkin May 4 '19 at 22:16
  • Questions on choosing an ideal word or phrase must include information on how it will be used in order to be answered. – Hot Licks May 4 '19 at 23:49
  • 2
    ... she's very self-centered / blinkered. – TrevorD May 4 '19 at 23:58
  • 1
    "Inconsiderate" could be a fit. It's not exactly what you asked, as it has more implications, but someone who is incosiderate is acting in a way that isn't taking other people's welfare into account. It shows either lack of seeing the other person's perspective, which is what you asked for, or it shows a lack of care for the other person's welfare. So, it is not exactly what you asked for. – A. Kvåle May 4 '19 at 23:58

One such word is opinionated implying that someone is having a rather fixed opinion (on something).

"She just can't seem to take someone else's view into account. She's very opinionated."


opinionated adjective

: firmly or unduly adhering to one's own opinion or to preconceived notions
… focus groups, which tend to be dominated by the loudest and most opinionated people … — James Surowiecki


According to MW Dictionary:

narrow-minded: unwilling to grant other people social rights or to accept other viewpoints


As in:

"She just can't seem to take someone else's view into account. She's very closed-minded."

closed-minded TFD


Intolerant of the beliefs and opinions of others; stubbornly unreceptive to new ideas.

  • Did you intentionally put close-minded in one line & closed-minded in the other place. I note that TFD gives one as a variant of the other, but that wan't clear ot me from your answer. – TrevorD May 5 '19 at 11:47
  • @TrevorD my mistake ... ty – lbf May 5 '19 at 12:10

Perhaps the term "Pareidolia" is what you are looking for.

: the tendency to perceive a specific, often meaningful image in a random or ambiguous visual pattern

Merriam Webster

  • 1
    You should add a dictionary definition and the reason why you think this is the word. – KillingTime Apr 12 '20 at 7:23

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.