I'm looking for a word that refers to someone who only sees things the way they want to see them.

"She just can't seem to take someone else's view into account. She's very ____."

Something along those lines.

  • 2
    Please, include an example sentence with a blank space showing how you would like the word you're looking for to be used. Otherwise, the question appears to be too broad to get a specific answer. May 4, 2019 at 22:16
  • Questions on choosing an ideal word or phrase must include information on how it will be used in order to be answered.
    – Hot Licks
    May 4, 2019 at 23:49
  • 2
    ... she's very self-centered / blinkered.
    – TrevorD
    May 4, 2019 at 23:58
  • 1
    "Inconsiderate" could be a fit. It's not exactly what you asked, as it has more implications, but someone who is incosiderate is acting in a way that isn't taking other people's welfare into account. It shows either lack of seeing the other person's perspective, which is what you asked for, or it shows a lack of care for the other person's welfare. So, it is not exactly what you asked for.
    – A. Kvåle
    May 4, 2019 at 23:58

5 Answers 5


One such word is opinionated implying that someone is having a rather fixed opinion (on something).

"She just can't seem to take someone else's view into account. She's very opinionated."


opinionated adjective

: firmly or unduly adhering to one's own opinion or to preconceived notions
… focus groups, which tend to be dominated by the loudest and most opinionated people … — James Surowiecki


According to MW Dictionary:

narrow-minded: unwilling to grant other people social rights or to accept other viewpoints


As in:

"She just can't seem to take someone else's view into account. She's very closed-minded."

closed-minded TFD


Intolerant of the beliefs and opinions of others; stubbornly unreceptive to new ideas.

  • Did you intentionally put close-minded in one line & closed-minded in the other place. I note that TFD gives one as a variant of the other, but that wan't clear ot me from your answer.
    – TrevorD
    May 5, 2019 at 11:47
  • @TrevorD my mistake ... ty
    – lbf
    May 5, 2019 at 12:10

Perhaps the term "Pareidolia" is what you are looking for.

: the tendency to perceive a specific, often meaningful image in a random or ambiguous visual pattern

Merriam Webster

  • 1
    You should add a dictionary definition and the reason why you think this is the word. Apr 12, 2020 at 7:23

"OBTUSE" would work I think if I'm grasping the context.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.