I need a word for: an item that can be substituted for another due to that item not being readily available...OR

what is the word for something that is used as a substitute while in a bind?

  • 5
    Substitute seems to fit perfectly (or maybe alternative). Can you elaborate why the word you used yourself doesn't fit your purpose? – oerkelens May 4 at 7:44

The word you can use is: Substitute

Substitute (n) : a person or thing that takes the place or function of another

Link for the same: Meaning of substitute in Merriam Webster


Off the top of my head, I'd say "replacement"; however, I'm now intrigued by the word "bined" at the end of the query. I wonder if the asker meant "in a bind". https://www.wordreference.com/es/translation.asp?tranword=in%20a%20bind

  • Yes, it's probably just a misspelling of bind. I edited the question accordingly. – Anonymous May 4 at 13:07

Some synonyms for "substitute" that also express it is not the genuine item:

Surrogate (often used for persons)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.