I work on a content management system that allows authors to create drafts of entries. When they are finished with the draft, they can click a “Publish draft” button to update the main entry with the draft’s content.

That generally makes sense, however it’s a little awkward because the entry isn’t necessarily live yet. You can “publish” a draft of a disabled entry, and the entry will be updated with the draft’s contents, but remain disabled. But the word “publish” seems to imply that the entry will go live, making me think it’s the wrong word.

Possible alternatives:

  • Commit
  • Submit
  • Finish

Leaning toward “commit” but hard to know whether that’s going to be clear to non-developers. (“Commit [to] the draft’s changes”)

Am I overlooking a better option?

(“Save” is a no go because it’s already possible to save a draft, which just updates the draft’s content with whatever’s in the form, but doesn’t have any effect on the main entry.)

  • 1
    Commit seems like a good option to me.
    – Jim
    May 2, 2019 at 21:19
  • "Commit" is the normal programmerese term.
    – Hot Licks
    May 2, 2019 at 21:33
  • Sounds like a fairly complex content flow for the end user – why not be a bit more specific in describing what each button does? “Save draft” and “Commit draft to main entry” or something along those lines would be clearer. Especially if there’s also an option to save the main entry without updating or incorporating a draft (e.g., updating metadata but ignoring the content draft). May 2, 2019 at 22:16
  • Finalize. Seal. Knock off.
    – Ricky
    May 3, 2019 at 0:49
  • Commit won't be universally understood, in my opinion. Submit and create work best for me. May 3, 2019 at 4:23

1 Answer 1


The word finalize might work. TfD defines it as:

to put into final form; settle

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.