A knife has a handle and a blade. A spoon has a handle and a... Bowl? A fork has a handle and... Spikes? Prongs?

I guess this can be extended to more esoteric cutlery such as sporks.

  • 1
    For a fork, it's prongs (in British English). – TrevorD Apr 28 '19 at 17:52
  • 1
    While we're at it, the metal part of the blade that extends into a wooden handle is called the tang. – samerivertwice Apr 28 '19 at 18:27
  • 19
    In AmE (at least in my experience) it’s always tines for a fork whether it’s a dinner fork or a pitchfork. Ask The Two Ronnies about the other end of fork: 🕯️🕯️🕯️🕯️... – Jim Apr 29 '19 at 5:06
  • 19
    @TrevorD - As a BrE speaker, I immediately thought "tines" (although I understand "prongs"). Is this regional? – Martin Bonner supports Monica Apr 29 '19 at 7:37
  • 3
    I'm from the North-West and have never heard "tines", but my manager, also from the North-West, thought of "tines" instantly too. – Adam Barnes Apr 29 '19 at 9:54

A spoon has a bowl. A fork merges at its neck into a root carrying prongs or tines

enter image description here
enter image description here
Source: Visual dictionary online 1 and 2

  • According to the image, the merge would happen at the root, with the root connected to the neck. It doesn't merge at the neck. – jpmc26 Apr 29 '19 at 19:01
  • 2
    I'm surprised the word prong isn't on the fork image at all. – axsvl77 Apr 30 '19 at 0:57
  • 4
    As a slight aside: With a neck on both a spoon and fork, it certainly wouldn't seem misplaced to call anything beyond that the "head." I've definitely heard them called that before. – Dan Apr 30 '19 at 13:12
  • 2
    @poepje Companies that make spoons probably don't find it strange. They have to call each part something. – user91988 Apr 30 '19 at 14:22
  • 5
    It's worth noting that most people won't be familiar with most of these terms, though that's more because people don't often talk about the anatomy of cutlery than because there are any more familiar terms. – Hearth Apr 30 '19 at 14:54


the hollow of a spoon


enter image description here


  • 1
    Duplicate of the answer above. – TheSimpliFire Apr 29 '19 at 7:31
  • 4
    @TheSimpliFire "above" and "below" are unreliable ways to refer to answers on SE. The order can change depending on voting. (In this case, probably not because the answer from Hitch-22 answers both parts of the question; but as a general rule: beware.) – Martin Bonner supports Monica Apr 29 '19 at 7:39
  • 2
    This answer came in after the other, but the other answer was very different. It didn't have this image, for instance. – Adam Barnes Apr 29 '19 at 8:37
  • 21
    @TheSimpliFire from the edit history, at the time this answer was posted the other answer not only had no image or reference but in fact gave a different answer for the spoon ("head" rather than "bowl"). – Especially Lime Apr 29 '19 at 8:37

More generally, the part of any implement that performs its function is known as the business end.

[T]he end with, from, or through which a thing's function is fulfilled

American Heritage Dictionary:
The part of a weapon or tool, usually at the front, that inflicts damage or performs work.


In Dutch we called the pointy end of the fork the "teeth". Wikipedia also lists this usage in English with respect to pitchforks (emphasis by editor):

Tines (also tynes), prongs or teeth are parallel or branching spikes forming parts of a tool or natural object.


Tines may be blunt, such as those on a fork used as an eating utensil; or sharp, as on a pitchfork; or even barbed, as on a trident.

  • In English the word is "prongs" or "tines". – Dietrich Epp Apr 30 '19 at 14:52
  • 2
    Welcome to StackExchange! While I appreciate the cultural enrichment (genuinely), this is the English language network. I don't believe your answer belongs here. – Adam Barnes Apr 30 '19 at 16:31
  • JJJ's edit made the answer more on-topic. – Kodos Johnson Apr 30 '19 at 18:22
  • Thank you for the comment @KodosJohnson; I've removed my downvote. – Adam Barnes Apr 30 '19 at 19:40

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.