British English would usually use "-our" and "-ser" and American English would use "-or" and "-zer".

I don't seem to find an appropriate answer to this. Which combination is actually correct for British and for American English.

closed as off-topic by choster, JJJ, Chappo, Rand al'Thor, TrevorD Apr 27 at 23:30

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.


I'm not sure why you couldn't find the answer in a dictionary.

For British English it can (like most use-/ize words) be either:


(dioʊdəraɪz ) Word forms: 3rd person singular present tense deodorizes , present participle deodorizing , past tense, past participle deodorized

in BRIT, also use deodorise

Collins Dictionary

In US English, it is deodorize:

deodorize verb

de·​odor·​ize | \ dē-ˈō-də-ˌrīz \

deodorized; deodorizing; deodorizes


And it is never spelt with ou.


In British English it's normally spelt either "deodorant" or "air freshener" depending on whether you want to deodorise a person or a room.

Apparently, according to Collins, "deodorizer" and "deodoriser" are both acceptable in British English, but I can't say I've ever heard of them in 30-something years of living in South East England.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.