So I am not looking for 'Enochlophobia' or 'Agoraphobia' the fear of large crowds.

I am looking for a generic term (or is it collect noun?!) for phobia of various groups of people e.g. homophobia, Islamophobia, racism etc.

  • Are you looking for the word to describe someone who suffers from numerous phobias? In that case they would suffer from polyphobia and they would be polyphobic. Or manybe multiphobic? Apr 24, 2019 at 9:28
  • Thanks for your answer, but no I am looking for fears of people-groups, not for a general collection of phobias Apr 24, 2019 at 11:35

1 Answer 1


These would all seem to come under the more generic term xenophobia:

: fear and hatred of strangers or foreigners or of anything that is strange or foreign


As they note, this extends the traditional "fear" meaning of phobia to include extreme dislike.

  • Good answer. Do you think it could apply to people who are fearful of women (i.e., fearful of women taking their jobs) or would there be another better term? Apr 25, 2019 at 22:17
  • I think one could reasonably define it to include that, for example if writing about some of the “anti-feminist” groups that exist.
    – user323578
    Apr 25, 2019 at 22:25
  • True. Although that would be a little too much like 'fight'n words' for what I am looking for. However you have given me a good starting point to begin digging through a thesaurus with. Thanks :D Apr 25, 2019 at 22:48

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.