On the plastic lid of a cardboard drinking beaker manufactured by Huhtamäki are the abbreviations L, NG, OT and Z, each with a little spherical knob next to it. What do the abbreviations mean, and what are the knobs used for?

closed as off-topic by Andrew Leach Apr 21 at 20:17

  • This question does not appear to be about English language and usage within the scope defined in the help center.
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 2
    Are you sure this should be on English.stackexchange and not Finnish.stackexchange? What country did you find this cup in? – Peter Shor Apr 21 at 19:46
  • By beaker do you mean drinking cup, like you would get at a cary-out (takeaway in BrE) restaurant? And by knobs little circles that can be pressed in? If so, I can say in general they are used to identify the drink. I do not know what those particular letters mean. In the US, we might have cola, diet cola, root beer, and lemon-lime. The first three are approximately the same color, so the server can press down the little circle if she is serving a group with a mix of sodas. Maybe in whatever country you are in, those letters stand for some common soft drinks? – Damila Apr 21 at 19:53
  • Do you really need to axe? – Cascabel Apr 21 at 20:15
  • Huhtamaki lids for use in English-speaking countries have a different selection of letters: a representative image shows C, S and B for cream, sugar and black. Without evidence that this question is actually about English, I'm going to put it on hold. [Asking about what the knobs are for is definitely off-topic.] – Andrew Leach Apr 21 at 20:17
  • I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because there is no evidence that it's about the English language. – Andrew Leach Apr 21 at 20:17

The knobs are so that the servers can depress them, and keep track of what is in the cup.

For example, on the web, I can find a picture of a lid which has knobs labeled diet, tea, cola, other. When a server fills a cup with tea, they depress the knob labeled "tea" on the lid so as to make sure the customer gets the correct cup.

I have no idea what L, NG, OT, and Z are, though. They don't really sound like English abbreviations for various drinks.


Huhtamäki is based in Finland. Maybe L, NG, OT, and Z are initials in Finnish for the drinks sold there? But in fact Huhtamäki produces drinking cups for many countries, so maybe L, NG, OT, and Z are initials in some other language.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.