Flapping or tapping, also known as alveolar flapping, intervocalic flapping, or t-voicing, is a phonological process found in many dialects of English, especially North American English, Australian English and New Zealand English, by which the consonant phoneme /t/ or /d/ placed between vowels is pronounced as a voiced flap under certain conditions.

In Wikipedia, it says there can be flapping with both 't' and 'd'. But there are only examples of t-flapping on that page.

Personally, I could realize that I flap 'd' in lots of words.

For example,

  1. "I don't know."
  2. "forbidden"
  3. "widen"

Do you guys flap 'd' in such words too?
Is it more common to flap it or not?

  • 1 no, 2 yes, 3 yes – GEdgar Apr 19 at 11:48

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.