I have known this is a phobia for quite a while and remember reading the word long ago, but when I googled it today I got 2 different spellings: mastophobia and mastrophobia. Which one is right? Is either a recognised word? — I couldn't find them in the Oxford dictionary. Is it one of the newly made up words and there isn’t an official word to describe the fear of breasts?

If there is such a word but it's not mastophobia or mastrophobia, what is it?

Example sentence:

Eric liked cold cities where people wore lots of clothing. He positively avoided popular beaches in summer, due to his ______.

  • 1
    Masto- is a combining form found in OED, with two different meanings; mastro- is not. Mastophobia therefore is known to have a couple of meanings. However, even the OED is not entirely exhaustive and mastrophobia might have a meaning. – Andrew Leach Apr 17 at 19:22
  • @choster I am thinking of a word that describes “the fear of breasts”. – Saifur Rahman Mohsin Apr 17 at 19:38
  • 2
    “the fear of breasts” - I know what you mean; they sure are scary. – Michael Harvey Apr 17 at 20:11
  • 2
    Perhaps "masto-" was erroneously changed to "mastro-" by some writers by analogy with claustrophobia, hydrophobia, acrophobia, etc – user323578 Apr 17 at 20:56
  • Perhaps mammophobia? – jxh Apr 26 at 0:20

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.