In Portuguese we have the word "desaguar", which would roughly translate to "to release water" but is almost exclusively used to mean the offloading of water by a river into another body of water. We use it as such:

The Mississippi River "desagua" in the Atlantic.

Is there an equivalente word in English? It would be nice if the English word would "behave" in the same way as the Portuguese one, where it immediately makes the user think of a river, as opposed to for example the word "drain" which is far too general.

For reference, the sentence I am trying to translate is from a song/poem and reads

The river from my land*, "desagua" in my heart.

*: Land could possibly be translated as home too.

  • A river discharges into the sea, but that word too has other connotations such as with drains and bodily functions. Apr 17, 2019 at 18:21
  • 2
    I would say "The Mississippi River flows into the Gulf of Mexico" ... answers.com/Q/…
    – GEdgar
    Apr 17, 2019 at 18:25

1 Answer 1


We can say

The Mississippi drains/empties/discharges/flows into the Gulf of Mexico.

The closest word for your purposes might be flow, which makes one immediately think of a liquid (although I guess blood flows as well as water, so the poem might acquire some new connotations.).

  • I think "flows" is almost perfect! Also, I can't believe the Peter Shor just answered me, this is weird. Apr 17, 2019 at 18:41

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.