What's another word or phrase for "being controlled like a puppet".

eg., "to be manipulated by a more powerful force" . . . what the puppet is enduring?

closed as unclear what you're asking by Jason Bassford, JJJ, Cascabel, TrevorD, Chappo Apr 19 at 8:56

Please clarify your specific problem or add additional details to highlight exactly what you need. As it's currently written, it’s hard to tell exactly what you're asking. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 2
    Please edit your question to make it clearer what you're asking for, preferably by adding an example sentence with some underscores to represent the missing word. As it currently stands, it's unclear whether you want an adjective such as manipulated ("controlled like a puppet") or a noun such as manipulation ("being controlled like a puppet" or "what the puppet is enduring"). An example sentence provides the context for us to be able to provide an answer. For further guidance, see How to Ask and take the EL&U Tour. :-) – Chappo Apr 16 at 4:04
  • Do you mean something like enslaved? You have to be more specific. – Jason Bassford Apr 16 at 17:46

You can say:

''keep on a string''

According to Collin's Dictionary :

keep on a string

to have control or a hold over (someone), esp emotionally.

One more dictionary entry:

On a string

: Under someone's control, influence, or manipulation. 

"She kept teasing him with the possibility of a relationship in order to keep him on a string, convincing him buy her clothes and pay for her rent."

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.