It is a word used to describe something you sit your keys on. It's an old English word.

closed as off-topic by Dan Bron, Nigel J, tchrist Apr 13 at 20:44

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • Well, there's always "chest of drawers", but that's typically taller than a dresser. – Hot Licks Apr 13 at 19:56
  • @NigelJ - When you come into the house and change into your casual clothes you first deposit your keys and billfold on the dresser. – Hot Licks Apr 13 at 20:40
  • Are you looking for another word for dresser? Or are you looking for more adjectives to describe the dresser? – Mitch Apr 13 at 20:42
  • Y’all are so organized! I leave my billfold in my pants and the keys hanging in the lock inside. Otherwise, the apartments eats them. – KarlG Apr 13 at 20:46
  • Console? Credenza? – user323578 Apr 13 at 20:46

A dresser as a piece of bedroom furniture only dates to 1895, a time when furniture began to be mass produced and often sold in sets or suits in a matching material and style. Earlier names for similar pieces are:

Commode, 1786, from French ‘convenient, suitable.’ Its days were numbered, however, when the same word was used to denote a chair with a chamber pot beneath (1851) and later, a toilet. German, whose name for the sanitary device derives from English water closet, had no need to switch out the same French loanword: you can buy a Kommode at any IKEA in Germany.

Bureau as a chest of drawers dates from 1770. A bureau, for those who still use the term, is usually higher and more massive than a dresser, but still low enough to plop your keys on.

Chest of drawers, from the 1670s, may be of any height, which has to be specified. A dresser is essentially a low chest of drawers. Otherwise you’d have to fetch your keys with a fishing rod.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.