I am currently writing an email to office management.

I am asking for office management to action a fix. I want to ask them in a polite manner.

The sentence I have: "Please consider actioning a fix."

"actioning" is highlighted. I want to use professionally articulated grammar and spelling.

a) How would I ask them to politely consider helping me out?

b) Why does "action" not come in the form of a verb?

  • 2
    (b) because action is a noun already derived from a verb act. That's not the verb you want to use here, though. – John Lawler Apr 12 '19 at 14:15
  • 1
    If just asking them politely to fix it is too simple, I guess you could use "Please expedite the necessary maintenance procedures as soon as possible" – user323578 Apr 12 '19 at 14:38
  • 1
    What's wrong with "Please consider fixing this."? – TrevorD Apr 12 '19 at 14:45
  • 2
    In that case, personally I would say "Please arrange for this to be fixed a.s.a.p.." Why do you need 'posh words' like "expedite the necessary maintenance procedures"? – TrevorD Apr 12 '19 at 15:01
  • 1
    I hasten to add that my suggestion was intended as a joke! @TrevorD 's wording is far more sensible. – user323578 Apr 12 '19 at 15:12

A) "Can you please fix this?"

B) There are verbs related to action. As John Lawler says, the root of action is the verb act. But act is intransitive, so it can't be used in this kind of phrase - you cannot act a fix.

Another verb related to act, enact, is transitive, and its meaning more-or-less fits this context:


2 Put into practice (an idea or suggestion)
‘the pressure group's aim was to see the proposals enacted’


It is grammtically correct to say, "enact a fix," but it's not idiomatic. Perhaps because fix is already a verb.

| improve this answer | |
  • I like that. I could phrase it as follow: "Please consider enacting a fix.". James Random commented on the Question, in reply to one of my comments. He worded it perfectly, bar the asap. I would leave off the asap, as this conveys an urgency that I can't justify. – Alan Ball Apr 12 '19 at 14:48
  • A) "Can you please fix this?" is probably the most sensible to use. I also should have kept it simple, rather than over-complicate. – Alan Ball Apr 13 '19 at 17:38

"Act" is a verb; its noun is "action". You cannot use a noun in place of a verb. If you mean fixing something, politely and professionally, you can say:

--I was wondering if you could kindly fix this/this issue.

--Is it possible for you to kindly fix this/this issue?

--Could you kindly fix this issue (as I am not able to do so)?

The sentence "please consider actioning a fix" is by no means grammatical or even professional.

Hope this helps!

| improve this answer | |
  • You can use a noun as a verb. English does it all the time. Although some people consider that verbing weirds language. – user323578 Apr 12 '19 at 15:38
  • 1
    How can a 'fix' be 'kind' or 'kindly'? – TrevorD Apr 12 '19 at 16:20
  • @Trevor "kindly" is a sentence adverb – Acccumulation Apr 12 '19 at 17:54
  • 1
    @Acccumulation I've never heard of one of them! To my British ears, all those suggestions sound horrible! – TrevorD Apr 12 '19 at 18:34

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.