I'm trying to think of words to be used for usernames and I noticed people sometimes take a word whose suffix matches the prefix of another word and combine them. Noteworthy examples:

  • disarmpit
  • bartenderizer
  • cobwebsite

Is there a word for this type of made up words?

  • Not related to the question, but note that there is no such word as thats: the possessive form of the subordinator that is whose. I’ve fixed this in your question, and I’ve also removed the last bit asking people to make up words for the concept, since that’s too broad and subjective to be considered on topic here. Other than that, +1 for an interesting question! I’m not aware of a word for this, but there probably is one. – Janus Bahs Jacquet Apr 5 '19 at 23:20
  • 1
    This is known in the trade as Haplology, and the standard classroom example is probly tragicomedy from tragico- plus comedy. (The recursive mnemonic for Haplology is Haplogy) – John Lawler Apr 5 '19 at 23:29
  • It seems that Haplology is similar, but more general a term than what I'm looking for. I'm not trying to find words that just have a syllable omitted. I would like a term that I could search and get examples like the ones in the question. – Hectim Apr 8 '19 at 18:19

On game shows like NPR's Ask Me Another, where many of their games require contestants to come up with combinations like this (sometimes they're single words, sometimes phrases), I think they call them "mash-ups".

| improve this answer | |
  • Perfect! This is exactly what I was looking for. They even have single word ones like unicornbread. You're the best Barmar, thanks. – Hectim Apr 30 '19 at 22:46

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.