I see a sentence: "The department-wide (Noun) changes (V) suggested (?) by (Preposition) Ms. Juntasa received unanimous approval from company management.". What type of word "suggested"? If it is Adj, why don't have one noun after it?

closed as off-topic by Janus Bahs Jacquet, JJJ, TrevorD, Mari-Lou A, Chappo Apr 24 at 5:05

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • Not all adjectives have a noun after them; predicative adjectives generally don’t. – Janus Bahs Jacquet Apr 4 at 22:08
  • Your parsing has significant errors: department-wide is an adjective, not a noun; changes is a noun, not a verb. NB: this site is for "serious English language enthusiasts"; you might find our other site English Language Learners much more appropriate. :-) – Chappo Apr 24 at 5:05

The department-wide (Adj) changes (N) suggested (V) by (Preposition) Ms. Juntasa received (main V of the whole sentence) unanimous approval from company management."


"Department-wide" is (acting as) an adjective. "Changes" is a plural noun. "Suggested" is the past participle of the verb "suggest".

  • Suggested is not a verb in the past tense, but a past participle. It’s a reduced relative clause, “changes [which were] suggested”. – Janus Bahs Jacquet Apr 4 at 22:07

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.