Good day! What is the word that describes a person who operates within a specific land or area without the permission of the owner of that area/ land?

In case it might help, here's the background of my question: In our province, we own a land that is mainly used for agricultural purposes, but there is also a group of people who tends to invade it and harvest it for themselves, and planting their own crops there. We legally own the place. Now we want to right a formal letter directly to our central government to request aid for this issue, but we are having a hard time coming up with a word that best describes the situation.


I think Squatter fits this bill nicely!

From dictionary.com:

a person who settles on land or occupies property without title, right, or payment of rent.

| improve this answer | |

I think the proper term is OCCUPIER.

According to Collin's Dictionary (https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/occupier):

"The occupier of a house, flat, or piece of land is the person who lives or works there.


According to Oxford English Dictionary (https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/occupier):


// A person or company residing in or using a property as its owner or tenant, or (illegally) as a squatter.

There's another word with the exact sense of this action illegality -


A person entering someone's land or property without permission.

‘a trespasser on his land’


Here's an example from Reverso.context.net:

'You are a trespasser in my poppy fields.'

| improve this answer | |
  • 1
    "Occupier" misses the "without permission of the owner", which seems to be key. – AndyT Mar 28 '19 at 11:26
  • I am having mixed thoughts on the word "occupier", but the "trespasser" did get one of the few situations stated – FlameHydra Mar 28 '19 at 17:04

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.