I'm looking for a shorter verb with more punch. I can only think of nouns or long phrases:

  • ride roughshod
  • juggernaught
  • ramrod
  • mow down
  • plough
  • battering ram

What's a better way to say "to ride roughshod over"?

EXAMPLE: [The larger factor] bowls over / dominates / rides roughshod over [the smaller factor].

closed as not a real question by simchona, user2683, Matt E. Эллен, RegDwigнt Nov 22 '11 at 11:44

It's difficult to tell what is being asked here. This question is ambiguous, vague, incomplete, overly broad, or rhetorical and cannot be reasonably answered in its current form. For help clarifying this question so that it can be reopened, visit the help center. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 1
    Is there a specific context? If not, this is a bit too broad. – simchona Nov 22 '11 at 4:17
  • Plough can also be used as a verb. In fact, depending on your context, plough over could work well. – ghoppe Nov 22 '11 at 4:21
  • Smashed through? – Optimal Cynic Nov 22 '11 at 4:48
  • 1
    I don't understand the votes to close as "not a real question". Googling define "ride roughshod over", the top three results are all dictionary definitions, so I don't agree "more context" is needed. Why should OP not ask which shorter verb native speakers use for this meaning? – FumbleFingers Nov 22 '11 at 14:20

I'll suggest trample.


To railroad - press (someone) into doing something by rushing or coercing them has been quite popular for about a century.


I don't know the exact context of your usage, but Decimate & Trounce come to mind. Also, annihilate, obliterate, exterminate and even demolish and destroy work well to communicate a decisive victory / a lopsided contest.

To bulldoze someone also refers to roughshod treatment.


M-W Unabridged defines ride roughshod over as

to treat with disdain or abuse

You don't mention the context, but if you're looking for a one-word synonym with punch, try diss:

diss, verb. (US, UK, slang) To put (someone) down, or show disrespect by the use of insulting language or dismissive behaviour.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.