For example, in an aerospace business setting we are trying to find a title for the process to get approval for a new good or service. We are suggesting names like: green light, take off, launch pad, etc...

What are these names called? Is there a word for it? They are not euphemisms because we're not referring to something unpleasant or embarrassing. It's not stenography because we're not trying to hide anything.

Usage example: I don't like "green light" as a (word) because it's too vague. I think a better (word) would be "take off".

I'm thinking maybe jargon is the right word for it. It would not be industry-specific or even company-specific jargon. I think the phrase I'm looking to identify with the word would be department specific.

  • 2
    Are you after another name for greenlight/takeoff/launchpad or the name for the process of coming up with one of those names?
    – Smock
    Mar 21, 2019 at 16:32
  • Hi Wade, welcome to EL&U. You might not be aware that there are strict rules for single-word-requests: "To ensure your question is not closed as off-topic, please be specific about the intended use of the word. You must include a sample sentence demonstrating how the word would be used." You can add this using the edit link. For further guidance, see How to Ask, and make sure you also take the EL&U Tour :-) Mar 31, 2019 at 0:28

3 Answers 3


An idiom is a set phrase that has acquired a meaning separate from the combined meaning of the individual words. A metaphor is figurative language in which an analogy is implicitly given.


Those names (symbolic words or phrases) are terms specific to the respective field and the technical term (mass noun) for them is terminology, sometimes also referred to as nomenclature or jargon.


terminology NOUN [mass noun] The body of terms used with a particular technical application in a subject of study, profession, etc.

‘I realise that the army's history and terminology is an unknown jungle to many.’


NOUN [mass noun]
1.1 The body or system of names used in a particular specialist field. ‘the students found it hard to decipher the nomenclature of chemical compounds’

1.2 [formal] The term or terms applied to someone or something. ‘‘customers’ was preferred to the original nomenclature ‘passengers’’

NOUN [mass noun]
1 Special words or expressions used by a profession or group that are difficult for others to understand.

‘legal jargon’


JARGON [noun]. Given the responses, it must be "jargon". We are simply creating corporate speak for our department, jargon.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.