I am translating a touristic text and I have encountered this difficulty. In Spanish, we say "habitación de matrimonio", which means something like "the room of the couple of the house, the room for the parents". I have found too that in English you use "double room" and "master bedroom", and I would like to know if they can be used interchangeably or if they have different meanings. Thanks in advance, and please excuse my English, I am not a native speaker.

  • 3
    Never heard of a double room. I’d assume it was two rooms joined together in some way.
    – Jim
    Mar 19, 2019 at 15:28
  • 1
    In (UK?) English there is both "master bedroom" and "double bedroom". A double bedroom is one that is big enough for a double bed (called a matrimoniale in Italian, and I assume something similar in Spanish). A single bedroom is one that is only large enough for a single bed. A house can have multiple double bedrooms and single bedrooms. One may be called the master bedroom; this would typically be the largest or "best" (in some sense) double bedroom.
    – user323578
    Mar 19, 2019 at 15:32
  • @JamesRandom - That looks like a pretty comprehensive answer to me; why not post it?
    – Spratty
    Mar 19, 2019 at 16:35
  • 2
    In the US, in hotels/motels, "double room" generally refers to a room with two beds. "Master bedroom" generally refers to a bedroom in a normal residence, where it is the largest bedroom, often with connected bathroom, intended for the senior married couple.
    – Hot Licks
    Mar 19, 2019 at 16:37
  • I would say that habitación de matrimonio is the equivalent of master bedroom in a private house and possibly honeymoon suite in an hotel. In the UK a double room is one which contains a double bed (big enough for two adults), a twin room is one with two single beds (each big enough for one adult) and a single room is one with one single bed. Obviously a "master bedroom" is, usually, a "double room" but it is possible to see houses for sale advertised as having "three double bedrooms".
    – BoldBen
    Mar 19, 2019 at 17:17

1 Answer 1


These are two different things. A double room is a hotel term. From Collins

a room in a hotel with two beds

While Master Bedroom refers to the largest room in a residence or home, that would usually be the room for the home's owner(s), or the couple. Again from Collins

The master bedroom in a large house is the largest bedroom.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.