E.g. I would like to say "Lets call (someone from some department) A, and (someone from some department) B. A and B are....".

Is it common to do it in English?

  • In my experience, yes! – Tim Foster Mar 14 '19 at 13:40
  • That thing began at the end of the 15th century and became popular in the 16th, in the Age of Enlightenment with the work of Descartes. – user647486 Mar 14 '19 at 13:41

I have heard substitute names used more often, plain names like "Sally" and "Jim", but "A" and "B" would not sound strange at all. However, you may want to call them "person A" and "person B", at least the first time you mention each.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.