In my country when two people want to get married they set an amount of money that if they want to get divorced the husband must give that money to his wife. I wanted to know if there is any specific word for this money in English Thanks in advance.

  • Do couple set aside amount of money or just (husband) man?
    – Ubi.B
    Mar 13, 2019 at 7:07
  • It is Just husband
    – Shorecoral
    Mar 13, 2019 at 7:13
  • Normally, husband pays alimony, but it is not set aside before marriage. Whereas, you can use word "prenup" (prenuptial agreement), but again it is not specific to just money and it is gender neutral. You can have prenup agreement to share half of your property as well ( house, cart etc.) as well.
    – Ubi.B
    Mar 13, 2019 at 7:16
  • Since it’s something related to religion maybe in English we don’t have any specific word. Thanks anyway
    – Shorecoral
    Mar 13, 2019 at 9:06
  • When you say 'set' do you mean they literally set that sum of money aside in a bank account or lodged with the courts, or that they agree upon a sum, which does not necessarily represent money they currently posses.
    – Spagirl
    Mar 13, 2019 at 10:17

1 Answer 1


I do not know a word for the sum of money itself. But a prenuptial agreement (or prenup informally) is a legal agreement entered into prior to marriage. It can specify how property is divided in the case of a divorce.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.