I've seen a move like this in games like Tekken and Yakuza, typically by characters with unrefined fighting mastery. Below are links showcasing the move in question in both Tekken 7 and Yakuza Kiwami 2, respectively.



I'm curious as to whether or not there is an official or a colloquial term for this kind of barroom-brawl-style fighting move. Thank you in advance!

  • Assult / battery?
    – Lawrence
    Mar 12, 2019 at 8:00
  • Dunno, but maybe you could call it a hammer throw. m.youtube.com/watch?v=P6UwokP8BEg
    – Jim
    Mar 13, 2019 at 1:18
  • @Jim If I had to be completely honest, "hammer throw" is probably one of the best names for a fighting move I've ever heard. After hearing hammer throw, I don't think I want to know the actual name of this move anymore because I know it will not top a name like hammer throw. Not only does it sound awesome, it also fits extremely well with the move in question. I mean, damn. That's a great name for it. Mar 13, 2019 at 8:58

1 Answer 1


I don't know what the combined move would be as a fighting technique.

It starts of with what I'd describe, in pair figure skating, as a pair spin.

pair spin

It would then be followed by one person being thrown after momentum had built up. So, possibly just spin and throw.

The act of building up something's momentum and then releasing it in a redirected trajectory (sometimes due to an actual spin) is also described as a slingshot:


2 a : a maneuver in auto racing in which a drafting car accelerates past the car in front by taking advantage of reserve power
b : a dragster in which the driver sits behind the rear wheels

Although the definition wouldn't seem to apply (in fact, I've always thought of that maneuver as drafting), the word is used in Merriam-Webster's first example sentence to describe principles of centrifugal (or spinning) force:

// In fact, this tortuous trajectory necessitated gravity slingshots around Earth, Venus, Earth, and finally Earth again before moving toward the outer Solar System. // — Eric Berger, Ars Technica, "A congressman’s loss clouds the future of two demanding missions to Europa," 3 Dec. 2018

Oxford Dictionaries has a more directly relevant definition of this sense of the word:

[mass noun, often as modifier] The effect of the gravitational pull of a celestial object in accelerating and changing the course of another object or a spacecraft.

‘stars passing near a black hole might be ejected by a gravitational slingshot effect’

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.