Is there a name for an obviously erroneous duplication of a word in a print medium? For example (with apologies to Mr. Lincoln)" "Four-score and seven seven years ago..." If someone is relatively certain there isn't one, can you suggest a suitable short "title" for a list of such cases?

  • 1
    Generally speaking, this is called a "typo" (short for "typographical error").
    – Hot Licks
    Feb 26, 2019 at 18:57
  • 1
    In textual criticism this is called a dittography, but you may not want so technical a term. Feb 26, 2019 at 19:40
  • I can't find any formal word, but there's a discussion on Google groups about it. They are calling it "Intentional Word Repetition" or (variant) "Faux Hesitation" when only parts of words are repeated. Didn't Poe maybe use word repetition for emphasis or effect?
    – user22542
    Feb 26, 2019 at 20:39

1 Answer 1


As StoneyB writes, this is a dittography, Oxford dictionary says:

A mistaken repetition of a letter, word, or phrase by a copyist.

Origin: Late 19th century: from Greek dittos ‘double’ + -graphy.

It is not clear how technical a description you want, you should give a little more details of the context in which you'll refer to these typos. You could use 'List of dittographies', or 'List of erroneous repetitions'.

  • I intend to make a list & try to estimate what a proper correction would be if the context supports one.
    – CE User
    Feb 28, 2019 at 1:39
  • @CEUser: so it is a quite technical usage? If you want to distinguish these erroneous repetitions from other typos, then you could use 'List of dittographies'
    – Joce
    Feb 28, 2019 at 10:46

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.