How would someone who goes hunting/shooting a lot describe a gun? (in UK, not USA) Any casual terms that non-hunters would not know, e.g. would they refer to the make - as in I've just bought a new "Smithy" (fictional) or whatever? Any class based differences?

  • What are they hunting for? pheasant? deer? – TRomano Feb 20 at 11:36
  • Fox &/or hares. It's for a writing project. – Ann Feb 20 at 11:42
  • When is the action taking place? Century/decade? – TRomano Feb 20 at 11:45
  • 3
    @TRomanon The "hunting ban" does not apply to shooting. It concerns hunting with dogs. In fact when people go out shooting in Britain it is not called "hunting" as it is in America. We talk of going "shooting" and holding "a shoot". – WS2 Feb 20 at 13:17
  • 1
    @TRomano we also talk of "stalking" if hunting deer with a rifle (or a camera). "Holding a shoot" means organising a shooting party typically on a large country estate or farm often by the land owner for a number of guests, who may be friends or paying customers depending on the circumstances. There would typical be beaters who would flush game birds to be shot and other game like rabbits. The other time shooting is common is around harvest time when men like my dad would shoot rabbits and other small animals flushed by combines to help keep the populations down. – Sarriesfan Feb 20 at 22:49

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.