"Not only ... But also"

What is this sentence pattern called in English grammar? How can I find these patterns?

  • 1
    By watching lots of old British TV comedies? – a different ben Jan 9 '14 at 8:48

The basic pattern is called coordination or conjunction. It's where two distinct words or clauses are being joined in a single sentence (to compare, contrast, etc.)

There's also a class of words called conjunctions (including, for example, and, but, for, or, nor, yet, and so) which are commonly used in sentences with this pattern.


This pattern together with some others that you can find here is called correlative conjunction.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.