I'm looking for a verb that describes falling over forwards - for example, if you're setting on a chair and someone shoves you from behind. What's the proper word to use here?

Thanks a lot! Nicolas

  • 3
    If there were such a verb, why do you think the phrase "fall over forwards" came into being? Commented Feb 9, 2019 at 15:16
  • 3
    In some contexts, faceplant would work. onlineslangdictionary.com/meaning-definition-of/faceplant
    – remarkl
    Commented Feb 9, 2019 at 15:44
  • 1
    Michael Harvey, so "fall over forwards" works? I'm familiar with the expression, I just wondered if there's a more eloquent to say it. "Faceplant" is probably too modern/cartoonish. Commented Feb 9, 2019 at 16:01
  • 1
    Stumble might work when describing walking, but you can't stumble from a chair... Commented Feb 9, 2019 at 16:06
  • 1
    You can topple out of a chair.
    – TimR
    Commented Feb 9, 2019 at 16:20

2 Answers 2


Topple might be your best bet. Definition: to fall forward, as from having too heavy a top; pitch; tumble down. (https://www.dictionary.com/browse/topple)


Your best non-slang option would be tumble

Fall suddenly, clumsily, or headlong.


Nicolas tumbled from the chair when his sister pushed it

"Tumble" is also transitive, so you can also say

Nicolas's sister tumbled him from the chair.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.