What is a word for words that sound (phonesthemically) the opposite of the word's meaning? Example: "The phonesthemic Hoosier accent - ‘tarred’ - conveys the burden of dragging one’s exhausted body through space. Spoken properly, 'tired' (i.e. ‘tI-red’) requires one to breach a hard vowel and slide down through the consonants in a . . (?) . . of sound."

  • Are you asking for an antonym of 'onomatopoiea'? (that is, what does 'phonesthemic' mean?) – Mitch Feb 7 at 23:08

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.