I'm looking for an umbrella term for the maximum, the minimum, the median and the average of a sequence of numbers.

For the maximum and the minimum, such a term would, for example, be the extremum (Term for minimum or maximum).

For the median and the average, one could use measure of central tendency (http://www.quickmba.com/stats/centralten/).

A very generic term for all four words would be just measure.

Is there a more specific term?


2 Answers 2


The functions you list are all examples of aggregate functions.

Common aggregate functions include:

  • Average (i.e., arithmetic mean)
  • Count
  • Maximum
  • Median
  • Minimum
  • Mode
  • Range
  • Sum

Unlike set functions, aggregate functions can work with multisets or sequences:

Formally, an aggregate function takes input a set, a multiset (bag), or a list from some input domain I and outputs an element of an output domain O. The input and output domains may be the same, such as for SUM, or may be different, such as for COUNT.

The term aggregate function is more common in programming (especially databases) than in mathematics.


Each one of these, max, min, mean, median, mode, variance, kurtosis, correlation coefficient, etc etc, and so on, is a


a function of a sample of data.

  • This bypasses entirely the differences between set, multiset/bag, and sequence.
    – Mitch
    Feb 7, 2019 at 21:05
  • 2
    For specifically the four given by OP, I'd suggest furthermore "summary statistics". Feb 7, 2019 at 21:27

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.