Possible Duplicate:
What term describes a non-offensive substitute for a swear word?

Is there a term for replacing one slang word with another made-up slang word?

For example f*cking => fricking, fracking, smurfing, frelling, or freaking

At what point do the made up words turn into recognized/official words? For example I'm pretty sure I can use most of the above replacements and people will know what I mean, fricking and fracking being most used.

Even if a replacement becomes commonly used, at what point would it end up in say the OED?



Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.