What is a small tent kind of shop on the side of the road called?

It can sell stuff like newspapers, snacks, coffee, and other small things. The only two things that come to mind are "a hot dog stand" and "street vendor" (though the latter is the person). So, I was wondering what other words for it may be?

In my language it's called a kiosk or simply a van, whether it's immovable or on the wheels, but from what I've googled, the pictures say it's not the same thing in English.

Here is what I want to know the name for:

roadside shop

  • 7
    You deleted a number of photos but left the last one. Were those not what you were looking for? Because your accepted answer is closer to the pictures you deleted, and not good for the picture you kept.
    – Mitch
    Commented Jan 28, 2019 at 13:27
  • 1
    Accepted answer shows a cart. That's a concession trailer.
    – Mazura
    Commented Jan 28, 2019 at 14:28
  • @Mitch yes, the picture that is in your answer is exactly what I was looking for.
    – dee
    Commented Jan 28, 2019 at 15:45
  • 4
    In that case I suggest that you un-delete one of the other photos and remove the current one. The photo you have in your question now is a trailer and probably not designed to be pushed/pulled by hand. Commented Jan 28, 2019 at 22:12

7 Answers 7



A type of cart with wheels that you manually push.

Dictionary.com says the term is primarily used in the US and in Canada

mainly US and Canadian a handcart, typically having two wheels and a canvas roof, used esp by street vendors. Also called: barrow

Wikipedia suggests that it is typically known as a food cart

A food cart is a mobile kitchen set up on the street to prepare and sell street food to passers-by. Food carts are often found in cities worldwide selling food of every kind.

Food carts come in two basic styles.

  • One allows the vendor to sit or stand inside and serve food through a window.

  • In the other, the vendor stands next to the cart, while all the room in the cart is used for storage and to house the cooking machinery, usually a grilling surface.

  • Some food carts are towed by another vehicle, while some are pushed by a human or animal.

It can also be simply called a food stall with wheels, or a vendor cart

enter image description here
A hot dog cart

If the food cart is part of a vehicle, it is called a foodtruck

  • 1
    foodcart, right! I also remembered a simple "burger van".
    – dee
    Commented Jan 28, 2019 at 9:29
  • 2
    @dee the thing in your picture is not at all called a pushcart in US/Canada. The thing in Mari-Lou's picture can be called a pushcart in US/Can, but would more likely be called a hotdog stand.
    – Mitch
    Commented Jan 28, 2019 at 12:35
  • @Mitch I posted this answer before the OP deleted all the images. The question was also more generic.
    – Mari-Lou A
    Commented Jan 28, 2019 at 12:36
  • They still have one image at the bottom of the OP, which is what I was referring to and which looks like a 'food truck' in US. It's unclear if the OP wants a generic for the function or a specific word for the conveyance (or any and all).
    – Mitch
    Commented Jan 28, 2019 at 12:41
  • 1
    Never heard this (US). Commented Jan 28, 2019 at 17:34

The phrase market cart brings up some similar images in eBay. I think I’ve also seen this kind of stand called a "barrow", too. Collins list the following for "barrow":

chiefly Brit a handcart, typically having two wheels and a canvas roof, used esp by street vendors

Which neatly describes your images in a British fashion and gives "handcart" as an alternative.

  • The OP is asking for North American English, not British. 'market cart' would not be used in NA.
    – Mitch
    Commented Jan 28, 2019 at 13:23
  • @Mitch ngrams suggests it's uncommon in NA but it has been used in the past. However eBay.com only has a couple of relevant images (and they're both from the UK).
    – Pam
    Commented Jan 28, 2019 at 13:47
  • 1
    I suspect that market cart in North America never changed from the original British meaning of market cart: a cart used for transporting goods to the market, as well as for selling them out of. See the English artist's Thomas Gainsborough's 1786 painting. Commented Jan 29, 2019 at 15:37

I guess you could call it a vending cart or a street vending cart (you could even call it a mobile vending kiosk if you wanted). That is, it's a cart that's used for vending or selling things. If you go and do a quick search on Google, you will see that you're going to get a lot of hits with these phrases. So, these terms are very simple and actually used in the real world.


A Market Stall (or simply a stall) might be what you're looking for. This would be used to describe a tent-like structure, not something on wheels. Though the word Kiosk is also used (certainly in British English).


  • 8
    To me, as a Brit, a kiosk is usually a small but reasonably permanent structure. Certainly not a tent or anything on wheels.
    – BoldBen
    Commented Jan 28, 2019 at 13:22
  • I'd probably agree! But it is useful to note that the word exists. Commented Jan 28, 2019 at 15:35
  • Australia is similar to Britain here as often the case. The general term is a stall or market stall, and we would not use the word "cart". Note that the image in the original question may be described as a "food truck" - this is a food stall in a van or caravan style trailer where the servers stand inside and serve you through a window.
    – guest34491
    Commented Jan 29, 2019 at 0:45
  • In the UK "market stalls" are not isolated and moveable. They may be temporary but the "market" is held in a fixed location at regular intervals (e.g. the same day each week) and consists of several stalls, like this one: visitpeakdistrict.com/explore/towns-and-villages/…
    – alephzero
    Commented Jan 29, 2019 at 14:35

In the UK this might be known as a 'stand' or a 'van'.

A 'stand' as in a hotdog stand, although this would be applicable if the server was stood at ground level and the unit could be moved by hand.

A 'van' as in an ice-cream van, although this would not be an official definition found in the dictionary it is in common use.


It can be called a BOOTH.

According to Merriam-Webster's Dictionary https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/booth:

: a stall or stand (as at a fair) for the sale or exhibition of goods.

  • 2
    shopping cart is a thing you put your stuff in in a shop. and I'm wondering what the thing in the pictures is called. this is not shopping cart, but nonetheless, thank you for your time.
    – dee
    Commented Jan 28, 2019 at 8:20
  • It may be OK for retailers.
    – user307254
    Commented Jan 28, 2019 at 8:52
  • 5
    A booth doesn't usually have wheels.
    – Mari-Lou A
    Commented Jan 28, 2019 at 9:07

I've tended to describe this sort of thing to others (and them describe it to me) as a kiosk. I've always been able to understand what they meant in any given case, and vice versa.

  • Google image search for 'kiosk' (google.com, not google.uk) and... you won't find anything that looks like any of the pictures, deleted or not, that the OP gave.
    – Mitch
    Commented Jan 29, 2019 at 2:37

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.