If there are three children in the family:

A. a boy, eldest

B. a girl

C. a boy, youngest

Is it correct for their father to refer to A as 'my eldest son' and to B as 'my younger daughter'? If not, what expression would be preferred? Thank you.


If you compare two people you should use only the comparative form of the adjective (in your case 'my elder son').

The alternative form can be 'my eldest child' as you compare three people here. This is the superlative form of the adjective.

As about the daughter you just say 'my daughter'.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.