Whenever I try to google it I get redirected to "Hot Air Balloon". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_air_balloon

What's weirder is that there is not a single mention of "aerostatic globe" in the "hot air balloon" wiki itself.

To be honest, I've always called the hot air balloons, aerostatic globes. But I don't really know where I originally got this name from.

Searching for "aerostatic globe" inside quotations will show me images of what seem to be very old hot air balloons.

Are aerostatic globes just old hot air balloons?

  • Aerostatic implies hovering, and a sphere or globe is a logical shape for a balloon. It sounds like something you'd see in an early translation of Jules Verne.
    – Chris H
    Jan 22, 2019 at 7:38

1 Answer 1


As I suspected when I commented, the origin seems to be French. Wikipedia's (English) article on the Montgolfier brothers refers to their globe aérostatique. The English phrase would then be a literal translation.

The French phrase is used in this 1783 illustration of the first flight in the brothers' balloon.

Around the same time :

An anonymous author writing as a Mr. Vivenair published A Journey Lately Performed Through the Air in an Aerostatic Globe, Commonly Called an Air Balloon, From This Terraquaeous Globe to the Newly Discovered Planet, Georgium Sidus in 1784. Wikipedia, Uranus in fiction

While the author's pseudonym and narrator and apparently French, this satire on the court of King George III has been presumed to be written by a British author; it was published in London, in English.

  • I see, but that leaves me wondering, "aerostatic globe" is probably wrong, right? Even if it's the literal translation of the word in other languages (I also tried it in Spanish, same translation pops up).
    – Pochi
    Jan 23, 2019 at 1:19
  • Given the Vivenair source I would say it's an archaic term that never really took off. So it's not useful in modern settings but if, for example, you were worrying a story set in the late 18th or early 19th century, especially in France, it might be suitable.
    – Chris H
    Jan 23, 2019 at 6:48
  • Alright, thank you. I'll probably just stick to the Hot Air Balloon term, even though the other one sounds way cooler.
    – Pochi
    Jan 23, 2019 at 8:28

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.