Imagine that one wanted to present a list of (a) published academic papers and theses, and (b) unpublished papers and/or essays (I'm not sure if there is a real difference between these two concepts). Which headings would make most sense to separate the two? Papers and essays? Official papers and unofficial papers?

2 Answers 2


Published papers and Unpublished papers seem adequate to me.

  • Are theses considered as published? In that case, it's a good suggestion.
    – Speldosa
    Nov 14, 2011 at 9:18
  • @Speldosa: If a thesis is published it seems reasonable to call it a published paper. It depends on the practice of the particular academic institution, I suppose. Nov 14, 2011 at 9:23
  • 1
    If you label the section: "Published papers and theses", you leave it ambiguous whether the thesis was actually published. You can then use "Unpublished papers and essays" as the other section heading. Nov 14, 2011 at 13:46

How about "releases" and "internal drafts"?

  • Well, doesn't "draft" imply more of an unfinished work? (The dictionary says: "A preliminary version of a piece of writing.")
    – Speldosa
    Nov 14, 2011 at 9:17
  • Well, in that case you can call it "internal release" or "internally released papers". I got the impression that internally written papers are released once they're published, but I don't know how your organization has defined that workflow.
    – Raku
    Nov 14, 2011 at 13:50

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.