If I want someone, who is holding the TV remote control, to change the channel on TV, then what should I tell him\her? (1) Switch to another channel? (2) move to another channel? (3) Go to another channel? (5) Turn to another channel? (6)Put on another channel on TV?

  • Any of those sound acceptable to me (a native American English speaker), though 6 sounds a bit off. "change channels" is how I would say it.
    – Hearth
    Jan 20, 2019 at 19:15
  • I'm flagging this as off-topic ("belongs on ELL"). Hi Mohammad, you may not be aware that our other site English Language Learners is the best place to look for answers on English questions that a fluent speaker would find trivial. If you have a question for ELL, be sure to read their guidance on what you can ask. :-) Jan 21, 2019 at 23:04

2 Answers 2


Move is not commonly used.

I would use most of them except 6

The easiest is:

Switch to channel ______

Some other ways:

Switch to another channel, please

Change the channel, please

Can you change channel, please

  • Thank you so much D. Manokhin, but does expression 6 still a valid expression, I mean is it correct to say it? Jan 20, 2019 at 19:46
  • @MohammadAL-Shiyab it is but not commonly used
    – user325641
    Jan 20, 2019 at 19:47
  • @MohammadAL-Shiyab no problem. If my answer helped feel free to press the tick next to my answer
    – user325641
    Jan 20, 2019 at 20:05

Go to channel 2 is easiest and most common. Switch to is acceptable. Move to is not used.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.