If you had two people sitting at ninety degrees to each other (see the attached image), they wouldn't be opposite each other, but they wouldn't be next to each other either. Is there an English word for the position they'd be in? (The arrows represent the way they are facing).enter image description here

An example sentence: they were sitting _____ to each other.

  • If there’s nobody in between them and the distance between them is a cbair’s width or less, then they are next to each other
    – Jim
    Jan 17 '19 at 6:13
  • is that green and red dot supposed to be a table?
    – Jim
    Jan 17 '19 at 8:28

Probably the most common would be to say they are situated diagonally.

There's another set of expressions you could use, kitty corner(ed)/catty corner(ed)/cater corner(ed):

North American
Situated diagonally opposite someone or something.
Oxford Dictionaries

All these expressions are synonymous but vary depending on region.


You can say they are ‘sitting adjacent to one another’. It means ‘next to, but not facing’.


If you look up ‘adjacent angles’, you’ll get the idea:


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.