Is there a single word or phrase that means a parent whose grown-up children are not living with them?

closed as not a real question by Shog9 Nov 16 '11 at 23:51

It's difficult to tell what is being asked here. This question is ambiguous, vague, incomplete, overly broad, or rhetorical and cannot be reasonably answered in its current form. For help clarifying this question so that it can be reopened, visit the help center. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 1
    There's SKIers - Spending Kids' Inheritance. – Barrie England Nov 12 '11 at 14:45
  • @BarrieEngland Is it a slang? I couldn't find it in dictionaries. Would you please expand a bit on S.K.I.? I'm very interested in that expression. – Terry Li Nov 12 '11 at 15:48
  • I'm not surprised you couldn't find it. I've only heard it occsionally and I don't suppose it will last. These acronyms come and go. At the moment we hear quite a lot about young people who are NEETs - Not In Employment, Education or Training. I think your Empty Nester meets the case better, so +1 for that. – Barrie England Nov 12 '11 at 16:32
  • 3
    Voted to re-open. This is a single word or phrase request ("what's a word/phrase for X?"), not asking the definition of a word ("what does X mean?"). The first answer below may link to a dictionary but, without knowing the term, I would not have been able to find it. – Hugo Nov 14 '11 at 6:25
  • 2
    @Hugo: bet you could have... – Shog9 Nov 15 '11 at 20:30

Empty nester might be of your interest, although it's not that formal.

  • @drɱ65δ We might as well coin some words that would imitate the analogy here :) – Terry Li Nov 12 '11 at 15:02

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.