This question already has an answer here:

In answering a recent question here I found myself in need of a term for alliteration but including the first vowel sound, as in "Costa Coffee". An ideal term would be more specific than assonance. I've seen head rhyme used but Wikipedia at least says that's just the same as alliteration. Does such a term exist?

marked as duplicate by KarlG, Community Jan 11 at 15:44

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

  • See if these answers help: english.stackexchange.com/questions/334390/… – KarlG Jan 11 at 15:39
  • @KarlG thanks, it's clearly a dupe, but I don't think the accepted answer is structured very well to answer either question (it leads with a big, bold and very general term, only getting to the real answer half a screenful later) – Chris H Jan 11 at 15:46
  • 1
    I thought the term might be something like syllabic alliteration, but that’s not in use. – KarlG Jan 11 at 15:50

There's only one term for this case - ALLITERATION.

According to Merriam-Webster's Dictionary:


: the repetition of usually initial consonant sounds in two or more neighboring words or syllables (such as wild and woolly, threatening throngs) — called also head rhyme, initial rhyme


: relatively close juxtaposition of similar sounds especially of vowels (as in "rise high in the bright sky") b: repetition of vowels without repetition of consonants (as in stony and holy) used as an alternative to rhyme in verse

  • Surely you can provide a better answer than this. If you've been teaching a course on it, you shouldn't have any problem clarifying. Just trust me isn't good justification for an answer. – Jason Bassford Jan 11 at 15:24

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.