There are (for example) three dynamic libraries that is files libxx.so, libyy.so, and libzz.so (or .dll files xx.dll, yy.dll, and zz.dll on Windows).

What do you call the collection of all three files (as well the entire source code from which the three files are generated)? It is commonly called library, but to say "the library consisting of three libraries" is so to say inconvenient.

Also note that every library may consist of several modules.

  • DLL's is the word I use- "Dynamic Linking Libraries." Are you referring to API's? – Karlomanio Jan 11 '19 at 15:18
  • Welcome to EL&U. Requests for terminology used in specific sectors are typically better-asked of subject matter experts. I would expect even a beginner software developer or desktop support specialist to produce a more reliable answer than the average English teacher or linguistics professor. – choster Jan 11 '19 at 15:23
  • 1
    @choster Not all of us are English teachers or linguistics professors, though. – Ian MacDonald Jan 11 '19 at 18:57
  • Runtime support package, Runtime environment, shared object collection... As Ian says, it really depends on their relationship to each other and to the application(s) that link them. – Jim Jan 11 '19 at 21:49

Depending on their relationship with one another and their completeness-of-purpose, you may be able to use the word framework.

framework noun
frame·​work | \ˈfrām-ˌwərk \
Definition of framework
1a : a basic conceptional structure (as of ideas)
the framework of the U.S. Constitution
These influences threaten the very framework of our society.
b : a skeletal, openwork, or structural frame
An iron framework surrounds the sculpture.
3 : the larger branches of a tree that determine its shape

|improve this answer|||||

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.