Whenever I read an article on the web, I either click on the links in the article or search for more information about the topic, ending up very far from the original article. Is there a term for this act of jumping through links?

closed as off-topic by tchrist Jan 10 at 13:31

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

  • "Questions on choosing an ideal word or phrase must include information on how it will be used in order to be answered. For help writing a good word or phrase request, see: About single word requests" – tchrist
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.


(This habit is known as Mindless browsing.

There is even a word for it:)


The theory is that, even though we might go online with a specific purpose in mind, the potential choices and distractions are so many and varied that they cause us to lose track of what we were looking for. Shopping, travel and news websites are allegedly among the most likely to cause people to wilf.



I think you can use the expression

Surf the inter/net

to spend time visiting a lot of websites:

  • He spends a lot of time surfing the internet/Net/Web.

(Cambridge Dictionary)

  • Surf the inter? I've heard "surf the net" but not the former. It's not the right answer anyway. If I want, I can surf on the web for two hours, absolutely focused, on one topic. The OP is talking about getting distracted and going down rabbit holes – Mari-Lou A Jan 10 at 13:47
  • @Mari-LouA - the OP is not clear about it. They cite both more research on the original topic and other unrelated stuff...in any case they surf.. – user240918 Jan 10 at 14:01

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.