My father is police officer. For example, when editing my student's writing (which is handwritten), this is what I do:


My father is Y police officer. If anyone happens to know how to do this in a word processing software, I'd be even more grateful. Thanks in advance

  • 1
    Most word-processing software allows you to track changes so that you can simply fix the errors and the student will be able to see your changes in the document when you send it back to them. There isn’t really a way to emulate handwritten proofreading in digital word processing. Jan 4, 2019 at 13:23

1 Answer 1


It's an inverted caret.

The caret was originally and continues to be used in handwritten form as a proofreading mark to indicate where a punctuation mark, word, or phrase should be inserted into a document. The term comes from the Latin caret, "it lacks", from carēre, "to lack; to be separated from; to be free from". The caret symbol is written below the line of text for a line-level punctuation mark, such as a comma, or above the line as an inverted caret (cf. U+02C7 ˇ CARON) for a higher character, such as an apostrophe; the material to be inserted may be placed inside the caret, in the margin, or above the line. - Wikipedia

If you're using a word processor, it might be easier to insert a comment with the correction, rather than a traditional proofreader mark.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.