I'm writing a web application that can reverse engineer something. I'm thinking of describing it as a "reverse engineerer" but engineerer is, to my knowledge, not a word. What word/phrase could I replace "reverse engineerer" with?


"MyApp, an [xyz] reverse engineerer."

  • 2
    I would call it a "reverse engineer".
    – Hot Licks
    Jan 4, 2019 at 0:19
  • 4
    I’d call it a “reverse engineering tool”
    – Jim
    Jan 4, 2019 at 7:14
  • 1
    If I saw the term ‘‘a reverse engineer’’, I would think it was a reference to (1) a guy who was driving a train backwards, (2) an engineer who wears baseball caps with the visor pointing to the rear, or (3) somebody who was still trying to develop a perpetual-motion machine.     :-)    ⁠ Jan 5, 2019 at 7:17

3 Answers 3


A reverse-engineered piece of software: something developed using reverse-engineering approach to another product.

A recent practical example: Hamrick Software company developed (legally, with a permission from authors) a 64-bit driver version for an older Epson scanner.

We reverse engineered the Epson Perfection 3200 driver and included it in VueScan so you can keep using your old scanner. https://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/epson_perfection_3200.html

So according to their own words, they included a 'reverse-engineered Epson driver' in their scan software. In your example:

Application X is reverse-engineered Y.


Phillip K. Dick in his short story Paycheck illustrated your quandary of the vocation of a Reverse Engineer succinctly but never coined a unique term for it. As technology’s complexity makes this job description a profession I would venture to coin a new term that of ‘Revgineer’ I’m just spit-balling here but it may be time to step up and petition Encarta/Webster’s/Britannica etc. for acceptance of a ‘New” term.

  • Why not revengeneer? Jun 6, 2019 at 13:49
  • @mahmudkoya that's a superb word you've created, but it sounds like somebody who engineers revenge.
    – Chris H
    Jun 6, 2019 at 14:16

"Engineer" is a verb as well as a noun so calling your web app a "reverse engineer" sounds fine to me.

Reference: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/engineer

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.