A word with one syllable is "monosyllabic". Two syllables is "disyllabic", three is "trisyllabic", and so on. "Polysyllabic" refers to any word with more than one syllable. Is there any single term for words that have more than two (including three, four, five, and so on)?

  • 1
    I don't understand your question. If you know the adjective for two and three syllable words, where's the problem? Words that have more than two syllables are called disyllabic, trisyllabic, quadrisyllabic or, exceptionally, pentasyllabic.
    – Mari-Lou A
    Commented Dec 23, 2018 at 8:05
  • 1
    Offhand, I can't think of any situation where we would have a word for "more than two of X", whether syllables or years or wheels or .... Commented Dec 23, 2018 at 8:30
  • @Mari-LouA Sorry about the confusion - I'm looking for a word that covers everything past two. I edited the question to clarify. Commented Dec 23, 2018 at 8:47
  • 1
    I'd go for polysyllabic, a five-syllable word is still "polysyllabic" despite having more than three syllables
    – Mari-Lou A
    Commented Dec 23, 2018 at 9:01
  • 1

2 Answers 2


According to Merriam-Webster's Dictionary:


: having more than one and usually more than three syllables :


// a multisyllabic  word


Since you don't show an example case it's hard to tell if this is appropriate, but if your requirement is for a minimum of three, then "3+ syllables" might fit the bill.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.