A person moves from their original place of residence to another place which we call as migration. What should we say if the person comes back to the same place after a while?

  • Just a comment: Strictly speaking 'migration' is just moving, changing places. Birds migrate (leave and return, etc.). Maybe with people we tend to think of 'one-direction migration'.
    – alexsms
    Dec 19, 2018 at 6:15
  • I was thinking you were looking for something like 'hearth-and-home' phrase. Seems you need a neutral/technical term. ?
    – alexsms
    Dec 19, 2018 at 6:19
  • Welcome to EL&U! That is a very good question. It is considered good practice to add a sentence with a gap to your single-word-request for others to more clearly understand you question, e.g. "When I poke a jelly and it moves in a wavy motion, it is _____" where the answer might be "wobbling". Your question is very clear and well-written, so I don't think it needs one, but I would advise doing it in future single-word-requests. Dec 19, 2018 at 8:28

2 Answers 2


I think the word you are looking for is Repatriate

From Merriam-Webster:

Repatriate verb

: to restore or return to the country of origin, allegiance, or citizenship


After living in Brazil for 14 years, John repatriated to the United States.

  • The process (as the OP wants) would be 'repatriation'. This however doesn't fit the case when a person migrates within their country of birth. E.g. a Montanan may migrate to New York, live their for many years, then come back to Montana. This won't be repatriation.
    – alexsms
    Dec 19, 2018 at 7:12

According to English Language Learners Dictionary: returnee : someone who returns to a place or activity; especially : someone who returns to a country after being in another country in prison, in military service, etc. The process of returning can be called: return, coming back, comeback, homecoming. For example: HOMECOMING - Your homecoming is your return to your home or your country after being away for a long time (CollinsCobuild). COMEBACK - a return to a former position or condition (Merriam-Webster's).

  • 2
    “Returnee” describes the person and does a good job of it. But the OP asked for a word to describe the process of returning. Consider re-entry.
    – Lawrence
    Dec 19, 2018 at 6:06

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.