Take for example

"Hello there"

How do I refer back to "Hello there" without specifying "Hello there"

I guess it has to be somewhere along the line of being reflexive or meta

Is there such a term available?

  • 1
    Hi, if you can, please edit your post to make it clearer what you're asking for. As it is, I've no idea what the word you're looking for would mean. It would also be helpful if you could let us know what words you have considered and rejected, and, as well, as this is a single word request, you'll need to include a fill-in-the-blank example sentence for the word you're looking for. All this will help you get better answers! – tmgr Dec 15 '18 at 22:45

Since you tagged your question with single-word-request, and because of your question's title, it seems that what you're looking for is a single word that means refer back.

Such a word is reference:

1 b : to cite in or as a reference

In other words, your sentence would read:

How do I reference "Hello there" without specifying "Hello there"?

If you actually mean to literally ask how to reference a previous sentence without writing it again, that's what pronouns are for:

What I meant by that (sentence) was . . .

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.