When two letters or glyphs are joined into one glyph as a ligature, is this glyph considered two letters or one, as letters on their own are considered words as D and S, when two letters are joined as one glyph, does this glyph have a name as dee and ess and is it considered a word?

enter image description hereenter image description here

closed as off-topic by Robusto, MetaEd Dec 11 '18 at 23:04

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 2
    I really can't see how this is a question for English Language & Usage. Many or most of these ligatures aren't even seen in English. If there were a typography stack exchange you could ask there, but until then this question is so narrow in scope that it falls outside of our purview here. – Robusto Dec 11 '18 at 22:20
  • Can you fix your sentence? It starts off meaningfully, but after the 2nd comma things get weird. How many questions are in this? Can you split up that run-on sentence? – Mitch Dec 11 '18 at 22:25

You answered your own question. It's called a ligature.

  • Agreed. Seems that a thing is not a word. :-) See also, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/… – MikeJRamsey56 Dec 11 '18 at 22:58
  • 1
    Welcome to our site. Note that you're responding to a low-quality question (which is why it's now on hold), and the system has flagged your own post for deletion as "low-quality because of its length and content." An answer is expected to be authoritative, detailed, and explain why it is correct. You can edit your answer to add more information, but as the Help Centre's guidance on How to Answer says, "Not all questions can or should be answered here", so this question may not be worth the extra effort. :-) – Chappo Dec 12 '18 at 1:58

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.